Even though it might not be easy, moving into a green home pays off in so many ways. You’ll personally experience plenty of benefits, and your actions can do a lot in terms of helping the environment. Always keep in mind that even the smallest individual actions can do a lot to increase awareness. Take ecoshuttle.com as an example. They’ve been promoting sustainability for over ten years and thus inspired others to follow the same path. But let’s cut to the chase – here’s how to move into an eco-friendly home.
Benefits of living in a green home
The word green combines two things most people care about the most – their health and their money. Those are also the two main reasons why living green is becoming a widely-accepted way of life. An eco-friendly lifestyle will help you save money and improve your health. But these are just some of the benefits of living in a green home and adopting environmentally-friendly habits.
Caption: Even if you switch the simplest and smallest habits for their eco-friendly substitutes, you’ll be going a long way!
Are you still not convinced? Then before we let you know how to pack in a sustainable way and reveal our other tips, we’ll let you know what are the main benefits of moving into a green home:
- Living in a green home means you’ll pay lower utility bills. With better insulation and efficient heating and cooling, you can expect much lower energy bills. Also, if you invest in low-flow faucets or dual flush toilets, your water bills will reduce, too.
- Improving indoor air quality is another reason to green up your home. Going green means living in a non-toxic household with germ and mold-free air.
- Green buildings are usually built to last longer and be more durable. Long-term, you’ll be saving a lot on maintenance, repairs, and replacements.
- Green features will increase the value of your home and help you get a better price should you ever decide to sell. In today’s market, going green makes a big difference.
Simple tips for moving into a green home
Nowadays, people are becoming more aware of how important being eco-friendly is. The good news is that things such as recycling are accepted and done by most of us on a regular basis. However, there are many more ways to reduce your carbon footprint and do even more for both yourself and the environment.
If you are moving into a new home, it’s a perfect time for a fresh green start! To help you, we’ve prepared tips for organizing a green relocation and making your new home more eco-friendly.
Repurpose and reuse things from your old home
The cheapest way to go green in your new home is to reuse things from your old home. Therefore, before you start planning your sustainable relocation, make sure to declutter and decide what things are worth bringing to your new home. Of course, make sure to get rid of anything that’s broken or can’t be used anymore.
If you are forced to furnish your new home from scratch, make sure to check out used furniture stores. You’d be surprised by how many amazing yet cheap pieces you can find.
Make your new home eco-friendly
Before you move in and settle into your new home, you want to invest in features and amenities that will make it more eco-friendly. As a lot of them require renovation, having everything done before moving in is also more convenient.
Caption: One of the most popular eco-friendly features people add to their homes is solar panels.
To help you choose features that best fit your home and budget, here are the three most common green features people add to their homes. Some of them can even apply if you plan on living green in a big city.
Energy-efficient light bulbs
Even though many households nowadays already use energy-efficient light bulbs, it’s always worth mentioning them. They are very effective and can help you save a lot of money. They are making old-fashioned light bulbs pretty much extinct.
One of the smartest ways to save money is to invest in proper insulation. This way, heat in your home will hold properly, which means you’ll spend less energy reheating it. Make sure your windows and doors are isolated well, too.
If you really want to go green all the way, solar panels should be your no. 1 choice. They are a long-term investment and can help you save a lot of money. If your budget is big enough, at some point, you can even become completely self-sufficient in terms of electricity.
Organize an eco-friendly move
When you’re moving into a green home, you need to make sure you’re moving in a green way, too. Just think about how much trash an ordinary move can produce! Let us not forget all the hazardous materials that may be disposed of in a very eco-unfriendly way, too.
Caption: Before moving into a green home, make sure to organize a sustainable and eco-friendly relocation.
To help you prevent this from happening during your relocation, we consulted the experienced team from divinemoving.com and prepared tips for an eco-friendly move:
- The first step when organizing a move is decluttering, and this is that much more important if you’re looking for ways to go green. Pay attention to dispose of everything properly.
- When packing, make sure you use eco-friendly packing materials. Try using things you already have at your home, such as blankets or suitcases. Or, you can ask friends if they have cardboard boxes to lend to you. Buying new boxes should be your last option.
- Do your research and hire an environmentally-friendly moving company. Ensuring you organize sustainable transport is a great way to minimize your environmental impact.
The bottom line
As you can see, moving into a green home will not only benefit the environment but living sustainably will also make you happier and improve your wellbeing in many other ways. So wait no more – start changing your habits and adopting eco-friendly practices!
Whether you want simple point to point transportation for your guests or you want to give your guests the Oregon experience, complete with school trips and scenic excursions, ecoShuttle has options for you. Our buses are meticulously maintained, our drivers are friendly and reliable, and our booking process is easy. Our wedding shuttle services include wedding party transportation, bachelorette parties, and tours of Portland and the surrounding area. You can have your cake and eat it too. Get a quote from ecoShuttle today! How groups travel Green in the Pacific Northwest.